Are you bored using the default ROM and looking forward to Unlock Bootloader and Root your Xiaomi Redmi 9 to install Custom ROMs? If so, then you are at the right place. Below are a few steps through which you can Unlock Bootloader and Root Xiaomi Redmi 9 using Magisk. Make sure to follow each and every step carefully without ignoring.
Related: How to Install TWRP and Root Mi 10/10 Pro using Magisk.
In Q2 of 2020, Xiaomi has officially launched Redmi 9 smartphone by featuring a 6.53-inch display coupled with 1080 x 2340 pixels resolution and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection. It is powered by an Octa-core Processor-based Mediatek Helio G80 (12 nm) Chipset and Mali-G52 MC2 GPU. The device is available in three (3) variants – 3GB RAM with 32GB storage, 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, and last but not least – 6GB RAM with 128GB storage.
In terms of camera, Redmi 9 sports a 13-MP + 8-MP + 5-MP + 2-MP Quad rear camera and a 8-MP single front-facing camera. Moreover, the device runs Android 10 based MIUI 11 (Skin) out of the box.
- Backup entire data from your smartphone
- Maintain at least 70-80% of charging to avoid interrupts
- Laptop/PC & USB cable is mandatory for this process
- Download the latest Xiaomi USB Drivers and install them
- Download the ADB and Fastboot drivers
- Download the Magisk File Manager latest version.
How to Unlock Xiaomi Redmi 9 Bootloader?
These days, unlocking Bootloader has become a bit easy on Xiaomi devices than the previous days. We should have to wait for a few days to get the Bootloader to unlock access during the earlier days, but now we can instantly unlock the Bootloader within a fraction of minutes. Below are the full steps which you need to follow carefully to unlock the Bootloader of Redmi 9.
Note: Do all the operations at your own risk; OFLATEST is not responsible for any damages.
- At first, make sure to take the backup of the entire data because unlocking the Bootloader may sometimes wipe the whole data.
- After that, turn on your PC and download the Mi Unlock tool from here & also, make sure to install the ADB & Fastboot Drivers.
- Navigate to Settings> About and Tap on the MIUI version continuously for 7-8 times.
(The Developer Options will be turned on)
- Go back to Settings and head to Developer options & turn on USB Debugging and the OEM Unlock option.
- Now, head to Settings > Mi account > Mi Cloud > Enable Sync & Find device and login to your Mi Account.
- Download the Mi Flash Unlock tool from here and open the MiFlashUnlock.exe by extracting the file.
- After opening the applications, log in to the same Mi account which you have logged in on your Redmi 9 smartphone.
- Turn off the device and enter into the Fastboot mode by continuously holding both volume keys and Power key until you see the ‘Mi’ logo.
- After entering into the Fastboot mode, connect your smartphone to the PC via USB cable.
- Now, open the Mi Flas unlock tool and click on Unlock.
- Wait until you see the ‘Unlocked Successfully’ notification on your PC’s screen. (In some rare cases, if the process gets stopped at 90%, then you need to wait for at least 48-72 hours to see the notification. So, don’t get panic and interrupt the process)
- After the process completion, reboot your device.
Heya! You have successfully unlocked the Bootloader of your Redmi 9. If you have encountered any issues while doing this operation, let us know via the comment section below.
Related: How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Samsung Galaxy Z Flip.
Steps to root Xiaomi Redmi 9?
As there is no custom recovery available for Redmi 9, a patched image should be used to root and install the TWRP recovery on your smartphone. Below are the steps to root & install recovery on your Redmi 9. So, make sure to follow all the steps carefully.
- At first, download the Magisk Manager APK and Redmi 9 firmware from your PC and extract it.
- After extracting, copy the boot.img and to your Redmi 9 smartphone.
- Open the file manager on your phone & install the Magisk Manager, then open it and tap on install>install.
- From the displayed two options, choose the ‘Select and Patch a File’ option and open the boot.img file.
- Wait for some time until the boot image file gets patched.
- After the process completion, head to the Mobile downloads folder from your PC and copy the patched ‘magisk_patched.img’ to the ADB folder.
- Now, hold the Shift button and give a right-click with the mouse and open “Command Prompt’ or ‘PowerShell Windows.’
- Check the device connection status by entering the following command.
- (If the device is connected, then it will return some ID. Otherwise, check the connection and try again by entering the above command)
- Enter the below command to root your Redmi 9
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Now, to reboot your device, execute the following command
- As this is the first boot after the above process, it usually takes a couple of minutes to open. So, don’t get panic and interrupt the process.
- After reboot, open the Magisk Manager and check the status. If it shows the Magisk & Magisk Manager status as installed, then the root is successful. Otherwise, you need to try the process again without committing any mistakes.
- We hope you have done all the processes successfully. If you encounter any problems or are stuck in the middle, let us in the comment section below.
Related: How to Unlock the Bootloader of T-Mobile based OnePlus 7T and 7T Pro McLaren Edition.